This soup is perfect for busy days because it bakes in the oven for hours with little fuss. I've served it several times with great success to various church groups.
Recommended: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 cups (1-1/2 pounds) dry yellow split peas
- 1 pound dry navy beans or whole yellow peas
- 2 pounds smoked pork shoulder or picnic ham
- 3-1/2 quarts water
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Place peas and beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; cover with water. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; let stand 1 hour. Drain beans and discard liquid. Place beans in an 8-qt. roaster. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and bake at 350° for 5-7 hours or until peas are tender and soup is thick, stirring occasionally. Remove pork; allow to cool. Cut into chunks, discarding bone and fat. Return meat to pan; heat through. Yield: 20-26 servings (6-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Pea Soup for a Crowd in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p13