VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted peanuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grape jelly
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and cream cheese until blended. Beat in vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking powder; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a small bowl, mix peanuts and jelly until blended. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. square cookie cutter. Place half of the squares 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Lightly brush egg over pastry. Place 1 teaspoon filling in center; top with remaining dough squares. Using a fork, press edges to seal. Brush tops with egg; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen
Originally published as PB&J Nutjammer Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2016