Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 10 thin slices sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Shape beef into two oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160° and meat juices run clear; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned.
- Combine salad dressing and horseradish. On each of two slices of toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, and half of the onion and the dressing mixture. Top with remaining toast.
Nutrition Facts1 burger: 516 calories, 24g fat (11g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 1278mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 11, 2017
We love patty melts and this was no exception. I did leave out the horseradish, because I didn't have any on hand and I doubled the cheese, one on each side. It held the second piece of bread on better. Loved them! This is the second time I've made them.
Jan 30, 2016
Excellent! Followed recipe as written.
Nov 29, 2009
Thumbs up on this one! It got the seal of approval from my youngest son and pickiest eater of the family. A nice different way to eat burgers.