- 10 thin slices sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 slices process American cheese or Swiss cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute onion in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Remove and keep warm.
- Shape beef into two oval patties; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In the same skillet, cook patties over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink; drain. Remove and keep warm.
- Spread remaining butter over one side of each slice of bread. Place in skillet, buttered side down, and toast until lightly browned. Combine salad dressing and horseradish. On two slices of toast, layer a slice of cheese, a beef patty, half of the onion and dressing mixture. Top with remaining toast. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forPatty Melts
"We love patty melts and this was no exception. I did leave out the horseradish, because I didn't have any on hand and I doubled the cheese, one on each side. It held the second piece of bread on better. Loved them! This is the second time I've made them."
"Excellent! Followed recipe as written."
"Thumbs up on this one! It got the seal of approval from my youngest son and pickiest eater of the family. A nice different way to eat burgers."