VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Assorted fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking dish.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs, one at at time, beating well. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; beat into creamed mixture alternately with milk. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes. Place on a wire rack; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter until creamy; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and light in color, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and 3 tablespoons cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes; thin with additional cream if desired. Spread over cake. Before serving, top with berries in a patchwork quilt pattern. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Patchwork Quilt Cake in Country Woman June/July 2017