Pastry-Topped Salmon Casserole
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened, cubed
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced potatoes, drained
- 2 pouches (6 ounces each) boneless skinless pink salmon, flaked
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large skillet, saute onion in 2 tablespoons butter for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Stir in milk; heat over medium heat until bubbles form around side of pan. Add cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat; stir in peas and carrots, potatoes, salmon, salt and pepper.
- Melt remaining butter; brush some of the butter over the bottom and sides of a 2-1/2-qt. round baking dish. Line with five sheets of phyllo dough. Pour in salmon mixture. Place remaining sheets of phyllo dough over filling to cover the top. Crimp edges; brush dough with remaining butter.
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 417 calories, 26g fat (16g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 943mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 19g protein.
Feb 22, 2016
This was very well received by my family. I was gifted a smoked salmon filet and wasn't quite sure what to do with it. I decided to try it out with this recipe. I have never used phyllo dough before and I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to work with. This casserole came together quick and easy. I did use a tablespoon of dill and a little lemon pepper. I used diced par boiled yellow potatoes (the store didn't have canned). I also used a container of whipped cream cheese with chives (it was all I had), and baked this in a 9x13 glass dish. Flaky, creamy, and delicious. I would make this again.
Jun 21, 2012
I used pre made crust and prebaked the bottom(pricked so not to bubble up) for 8 min.The only change I made was to add 1.5 tablespoons of dried dill weed which added extra delicious flavor.I used 2 diced and par-boiled potatoes and 3 diced carrots with the potatoes.Much better than canned...topped with 2nd crust and used a 9x13 rectangle glass dish.I laid the crust into the dish and patted it up the sides.It doesn't reach all the way but once it's baked and set the slices hold nicely.
Mar 28, 2012
I also didn't have canned potatoes so just used fresh ones, chopped nice and small, and simmered in the milk for a few minutes to soften.
Mar 28, 2012
I'm not a fan of seafood, but I made this casserole for some family and they absolutely loved it! The cream cheese adds a bit of a different creaminess than normal pot pie. I didn't have phyllo pastry so I just used normal pie pastry and it turned out great. My hubby is insisting I make this again, he's more than happy to eat the whole thing himself (over several meals of course).
Feb 12, 2011
have been making a similar casserole for ages- an old favorite from my grandmothers-
Jan 30, 2011
Simply Scrumptious. I used drained canned peas and carrots instead of frozen. Will definitely make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.