"When people first see this appetizer, they're often skeptical about the combination," notes Sharon Waller from Aromas, California. "But once they take that first bite, they're hooked!" The addictive treat is enhanced with a flavorful pesto sauce.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 24 fresh asparagus spears (about 1 pound), trimmed
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 24 thin slices (1 pound ) provolone cheese
- 24 thin slices deli pastrami (3/4 pound)
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of pesto over each slice of cheese. Top each with an asparagus spear; roll up tightly. Place each on a slice of pastrami; roll up tightly. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Pastrami Asparagus Roll-Ups in Taste of Home April/May 2007, p23