Pasticho (Venezuelan Lasagna)
Since I was a child knew my passion was to cook and I would invent new dishes. I sampled a lasagna at a local restaurant in Venezuela and I re-created at home. My father fell in love with the rich, creamy layer that complimented the tomato meat sauce in my pasticho.—
Total TimePrep: 1 hour 50 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, shredded
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) whole tomatoes with basil, undrained
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 2-1/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 3 packages (9 ounces each) no-cook lasagna noodles
- 7 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, pork, onion, celery and carrot in oil over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute mushrooms in butter and oil until tender. Add the cream, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in Parmesan cheese; cook and stir for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
- Discard bay leaf from meat sauce. Spread 1-1/4 cups meat sauce into a greased 4-qt. baking dish. Top with six noodles. Layer with 1-3/4 cups meat sauce, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, six noodles, 1-1/4 cups mushroom sauce, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers three times. Top with remaining noodles, meat sauce, mushroom sauce, mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese (dish will be full).
- Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 15-20 minutes longer or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 721 calories, 49g fat (27g saturated fat), 167mg cholesterol, 813mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 31g protein.
Originally published as Pasticho (Venezuelan Lasagna) in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.