Pastel Four-Layer Cake Recipe
- 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- Yellow, red and green liquid food coloring
- 1/4 teaspoon each lemon, peppermint, almond and vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1. Prepare and bake cake according to the package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round cake pans. Cool in pans for 10 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely. In saucepan, combine flour and salt. Gradually add milk; cook and stir over medium-high heat until thick, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and refrigerate until completely cool. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, shortening, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add chilled milk mixture; beat for 7 minutes. Divide frosting equally among four bowls, with 1-1/4 cups in each. To the first bowl, add 2-3 drops yellow food coloring and lemon extract; mix well. To second bowl, add 2-3 drops red food coloring and peppermint extract. To third bowl, add 2-3 drops green food coloring and almond extract. To the last bowl, add the cocoa and vanilla. Split cake layers in halve horizontally; spread each layer with a different frosting. Stack layers, using cocoa-frosting layer for the top. Do not frost sides of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Pastel Four-Layer Cake
"A family favorite at house since it first appeared in TOH! Everything about the recipe is delicious. I have to admit, though, that there's a chocolate cake recipe in the Premier Edition of TOH (1993) that everyone thinks is even better, so I tend to use that one, but add the flavorings & food colors from this recipe. I also 1 1/2x the frosting part of the 1993 recipe. But, again, this cake has gotten rave reviews from our family, too!"
"I lost the recipe and just found it again. The best cake I ever made. Everyone absolutely loves it"
"I first made this cake in 1997, when I first saw it in the magazine to RAVE reviews!!! Then I lost this recipe and someone on the forum found it for me. I made it a couple more times and then we moved, and I lost the recipe again. I thought this cake would be lovely at my Daughter's wedding Shower. so pleased to be able to find it again!!! 5+ stars if you ask me!"
"Forgot to give it stars!"
"We just love this cake! I've been making this for about 11 years and never had anyone say they didn't like it. I like to refrigerate it before I serve it. This is a family favorite!"
"This cake is sooo delicious! I have made it for family, friends, and coworkers and it always gets rave reviews. I make a double batch of frosting because what the recipe calls for just isn't enough. I use left over frosting for cupcakes.Try this recipe, you won't be disappointed."