Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
Orecchiette is a pasta that looks like tiny disks or "little ears," which is what the name means.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, trim 1/2 in. off from broccoli rabe stems; discard any coarse or damaged leaves. Rinse broccoli rabe in cold water and cut into 2-in. pieces; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set aside.
- In the bacon drippings, cook and stir garbanzo beans until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes and garlic. Add the broccoli rabe, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli rabe is tender. Stir in the pasta, bacon and enough remaining cooking liquid to moisten the pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 399 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 500mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein.
Originally published as Broccoli Rabe in The Taste of Home Cookbook 2nd Edition