Pasta with Broccoli Rabe
Orecchiette is a pasta that looks like tiny disks or "little ears," which is what the name means.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked orecchiette or small tube pasta
- 1/2 pound broccoli rabe
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, trim 1/2 in. off from broccoli rabe stems; discard any coarse or damaged leaves. Rinse broccoli rabe in cold water and cut into 2-in. pieces; set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set aside.
- In the bacon drippings, cook and stir garbanzo beans until lightly browned. Stir in tomatoes and garlic. Add the broccoli rabe, salt, pepper and 1/2 cup reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until broccoli rabe is tender. Stir in the pasta, bacon and enough remaining cooking liquid to moisten the pasta. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.