Pasta Squiggles with Pumpkin Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) cellentani or spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, pumpkin, cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and return to pan. Stir in pumpkin mixture and parsley. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without Parmesan cheese): 381 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 5, 2018
I never know what to do with the leftover can of pumpkin. This dish was a great use for that. The pasta was creamy without being over the top with Pumpkin flavor.
Oct 23, 2017
This was a pretty good meal! The pumpkin flavor wasn't overpowering at all. In fact, I might add a bit more "pumpkin-y" spice to it next time. The red peppers gave it just the right amount of sweetness. Don't forget the parmesan, because it really helps bring out the flavor. I paired this with apple & onion flavored sausage. It made a lot, so next time I'll cut the recipe in half. Overall, a good "something different" recipe!Update: Made this again and it was still a good solid meal. I tried adding in tiny bit of pumpkin pie spice but I didn't really taste a difference. Next time I'll try adding in even more and maybe upping the amount of canned pumpkin and cream. I'm sticking by my original 4-star review. Would still make this again.