Pasta Squiggles with Pumpkin Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) cellentani or spiral pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions. In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broth, pumpkin, cream, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta and return to pan. Stir in pumpkin mixture and parsley. Sprinkle servings with cheese.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups (calculated without Parmesan cheese): 381 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 12g protein.
Oct 23, 2017
This was a pretty good meal! The pumpkin flavor wasn't overpowering at all. In fact, I might add a bit more "pumpkin-y" spice to it next time. The red peppers gave it just the right amount of sweetness. Don't forget the parmesan, because it really helps bring out the flavor. I paired this with apple & onion flavored sausage. It made a lot, so next time I'll cut the recipe in half. Overall, a good "something different" recipe!Update: Made this again and it was still a good solid meal. I tried adding in tiny bit of pumpkin pie spice but I didn't really taste a difference. Next time I'll try adding in even more and maybe upping the amount of canned pumpkin and cream. I'm sticking by my original 4-star review. Would still make this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.