- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons fennel seed, crushed
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute carrot and anchovy fillets in oil until carrot is tender. Stir in the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, capers, oregano, thyme, fennel and pepper flakes; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Drain pasta. Add pasta and basil to sauce mixture; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPasta Puttanesca
"I did not add the carrots or sugar. I did add red wine. This was excellent. The whole family loved it!"