Pasta Pizza Venison Bake
Venison gives a pleasant change-of-pace flavor to this quick-to-fix pasta casserole. "Since my husband is an avid hunter, I'm always trying to find new ways to prepare ground venison," writes Donna Thomas from Bark River, Michigan. "Even those who usually don't care for the meat will like this hearty on-dish meal."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 pound ground venison
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the venison, salt and pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. Drain the macaroni; place half in a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the venison, pizza sauce, mushrooms and cheese. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 459 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 971mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 42g protein.
Originally published as Pasta Pizza Venison Bake in Taste of Home April/May 2004