This recipe came to me through a recipe exchange with a friend. It's our favorite way to do something different with pasta without a lot of fuss or exotic ingredients.—Mary Miller, Hopewell, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 7 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain. Combine hot spaghetti, butter, Parmesan cheese and eggs in a large bowl. Turn into a greased 10-in. pie plate. Using your fingers, form a crust; set aside.
- In a skillet, cook beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, oregano and garlic salt; heat through. Spread cottage cheese evenly over crust. Spoon ground beef mixture over cottage cheese layer.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until set. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 433 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 135mg cholesterol, 632mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 30g protein.
Originally published as Spaghetti Pie in Country Ground Beef
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.