This nicely spiced dish is loaded with vegetables. My family really loves it...and I bet yours will, too.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1/4 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Cajun stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 medium carrot, julienned
- 1 small yellow summer squash, sliced and quartered
- 1 small zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen cooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked pasta
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and garlic over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Add chicken; cook until chicken is no longer pink. Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa, carrot, squash and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp; heat until shrimp turn pink. Serve over pasta; sprinkle with bacon.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 234 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 85mg cholesterol, 1397mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 20g protein.
Originally published as Pasta Jambalaya in Country Extra July 2001
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.