Pasta and Bean Soup
Packed with veggies and leftover ham, this recipe really dresses up canned soup. Who would believe that such a hearty meal could be ready in so little time? Julia Cox — Chesapeake, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 can (18.8 ounces) ready-to-serve chunky savory vegetable soup
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked medium pasta shells
- In a large saucepan, saute the ham, onion, celery and garlic in oil for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in the soup, beans, water, thyme, bay leaf and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until pasta is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 863mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 7g fiber), 14g protein.
Originally published as Pasta and Bean Soup in Simple & Delicious March/April 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.