Pasta alla Puttanesca
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 anchovy fillets
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted Greek olives
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and chopped
- Hot cooked pasta
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook anchovy fillets in oil for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in olives and capers; heat through. Serve with pasta.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 146 calories, 10g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 668mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 20, 2010
Very nice strongly-flavored sauce. The anchovy (I substituted anchovy paste) gives it it such a nice richness. I think it would make a good pizza sauce too.
Jan 23, 2010
Easy and delicious. We've had Pasta alla Puttanesca in some outstanding Italian restaurants, and this recipe is right on. We would cut back the capers a little (maybe 1/4 - 1/2 T less than the recipe calls for), but the recipe is outstanding just the way it is.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.