- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 to 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) lima beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Stir in the beans and peas. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or until onion and peppers are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 16 servings (1/2 cup each).
Reviews forPartytime Beans
"A meatless dish, loaded with beans? I couldn't wait to try this! And I'm still kicking myself for not reducing the amount of brown sugar the recipe calls for. WAY too sweet. I might try these again sometime, but with half the sugar."
"We love this, hot or cold. It is great to take camping because you don't have to heat it up and it is so easy to make in advance while you are busy with everything else."
"I was disappointed in these beans after reading all the good reviews. There were nothing special, a bit bland."
"We loved it! My husband makes a lot of chili and I'm really not a fan, but when I made these beans all talk of chili ceased. We dropped off leftovers at a neighbors' house on our way to vacation and that evening received an email that they loved them, too. We will make these over and over, changing only the peppers....red and orange, not green."
"I made these several times, they always went over well. easy to make and good for you! The men really liked them, I didnt use the peppers as hubby hates peppers......I added about 1/4 c of brown sugar....AMAZING."
"There's only one word for these beans--AWESOME!!! Big, big hit with the guys, the vegetarians and pretty much everyone else. Thank you Jean Cantner!!"
"We were underwhelmed with this recipe. We didn't like the green pepper and weren't thrilled with the black-eyed peas. I added another 1/2 cup of sugar to try to cut some of the vinegar taste. Apparently we're in the minority since most other reviewers loved these beans."