Party Sandwich Tree
Cherry tomatoes, radish slices and green olives decorate this festive fir formed by arranging open-face sandwich triangles. An assortment of meats and cheese spreads can be used to suit varying tastes.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 11 slices thin rye bread
- 3 cups Starry Cheese Spread or cheese spread of your choice
- Chopped pecans
- 10 slices deli roast beef, halved
- Leaf lettuce
- Pimiento-stuffed olives, halved cherry tomatoes and sliced radishes
- Cut each slice of bread into a 3-1/2x3-in. rectangle, removing crusts. Spread with cheese spread. Cut each rectangle in half diagonally, forming triangles. At the bottom of a 24x18-in. serving tray or covered board, center two triangles with long sides together for trunk of Christmas tree.
- Above the trunk, place a row of six triangles with long sides together, forming three rectangles; place one triangle on either side of rectangles. For the next row, place four triangles, forming two rectangles, with a triangle on either side. Above that, place two triangles, forming one rectangle, with a triangle on either side. For the top row, place the two remaining triangles 1/2 in. apart with 3-in. sides facing. (Leave room at the top of the tray for the Starry Cheese Spread mold if desired.)
- Sprinkle pecans over tree trunk. Top the rest of the triangles with beef and lettuce. Add olive, tomato and radish "ornaments" with toothpicks.
Originally published as Party Sandwich Tree in Quick Cooking November/December 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.