Party-Pleasing Beef Dish
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/4 hours
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup cooked rice
- Tortilla chips
- Optional toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, sliced ripe olives, sour cream, chopped tomatoes and taco sauce
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the water, tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, garlic and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until heated through. Add rice; cover and cook 10 minutes longer. Serve over tortilla chips with toppings of your choice.
Nutrition Facts1 serving (calculated without chips and toppings): 155 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 22, 2012
Very tasty and easy. Everyone loved it!
Sep 22, 2008
This recipe just didn't have much flavor & it was too sweet.
Jul 11, 2008
It's a slow-cooker recipe and you are just 'heating through' (beef and onion are cooked). If you want to fix it 'right now', mix it altogether in a skillet and heat it through. It should take you about 30 minutes. (If that's what your question mark meant, jofus86.)
Jul 11, 2008
cook on low for 4 hours?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.