- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sliced zucchini (1/4 inch thick)
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen tiny whole carrots or 3 cups fresh baby carrots
- 5 tablespoons butter or margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) small whole onions, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, bring chicken and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Turn chicken and simmer 3 minutes longer (chicken will not be completely cooked). Remove chicken from cooking liquid and place down the center of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside. Cook zucchini and carrots in cooking liquid for 5 minutes or until zucchini just begins to soften; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in cream until smooth. Add bouillon, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon dill, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Spoon 1/2 cup sauce over chicken. Add zucchini, carrots and onions to remaining sauce. Spoon along sides of baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs, cheese, walnuts and remaining dill. Spoon over chicken and vegetables. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until topping is browned and sauce is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forParty Casserole
"I didn't have zucchini, so I put fresh mushrooms in place. I didn't put canned onions (yuk) I used regular onions."
"I was very surprised at how much my family enjoyed this! I did not add the bread crumb topping because I thought we would enjoy it more without."