Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sliced zucchini , cut 1/4 inch slices
- 1 package (14 ounces) frozen baby carrots or 3 cups fresh baby carrots
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream or milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Dash nutmeg
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) small whole onions, drained
- 1-1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- In a large skillet, bring chicken and water to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 3 minutes on each side (chicken will not be completely cooked). Remove chicken from cooking liquid and place down the center of an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- Cook zucchini and carrots in cooking liquid for 5 minutes or until zucchini just begins to soften; drain and set aside. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter; stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Stir in cream until smooth. Add bouillon, mustard, 1/4 teaspoon dill, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Spoon 1/2 cup sauce over chicken. Add the zucchini, carrots and onions to remaining sauce. Spoon along sides of baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs, cheese, walnuts and remaining dill.
- Spoon over chicken and vegetables. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until topping is browned and sauce is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 517 calories, 29g fat (14g saturated fat), 144mg cholesterol, 657mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 38g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 3, 2014
I didn't have zucchini, so I put fresh mushrooms in place. I didn't put canned onions (yuk) I used regular onions.
Oct 12, 2010
I was very surprised at how much my family enjoyed this! I did not add the bread crumb topping because I thought we would enjoy it more without.