Partridge with Wild Rice
Gary Miller of Riggins, Idaho shares his flavorful game bird recipe featuring tender partridge on a bed of well-seasoned wild rice. "You can use whatever type of bird you have in your area," he says.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (6.7 ounces) mushroom-flavored brown and wild rice mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 partridge game birds (14 ounces each), split lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag; add game birds and shake to coat. In a large skillet, cook birds in oil until browned; remove. Add milk and pepper to skillet; cook and stir until heated through.
- Place the rice in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. top with game birds and milk mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer reads 180° and meat is tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 854 calories, 28g fat (7g saturated fat), 227mg cholesterol, 1173mg sodium, 86g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 62g protein.
Originally published as Partridge with Wild Rice in Taste of Home April/May 2003