Parsnips & Turnips au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 pounds turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place parsnips and turnips in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain vegetables; transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and crumbs are golden brown. Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 189 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Apr 22, 2011
My husband loves this recipe. I wasn't a fan of turnips or parsnips but I even like it. We're experimenting with cheeses and other add-ins to try to amp up the flavor since he likes spicy.
Jan 8, 2011
I used rutabaga instead of turnips. I like the crunchiness of the panko topping. When I reheated the leftovers, I had some leftover swiss cheese. The basic recipe was ok, but the swiss cheese really put it over the top for me.
Oct 17, 2010
This was the first time I ever tasted parsnips and turnips and really did not care for this recipe. Maybe if you love parsnips and turnips you would like it, but my DH and I didn't care for this at all.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.