Parsnips & Turnips au Gratin
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1-1/4 pounds turnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place parsnips and turnips in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low. Stir in cheese until melted. Drain vegetables; transfer to an 11x7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour sauce over vegetables.
- Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and crumbs are golden brown.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casserole; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 375°. Bake casserole as directed, increasing time as necessary to heat through and for a thermometer inserted in center to read 165°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 189 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 309mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 high-fat meat, 1 vegetable.
Dec 25, 2019
This recipe was chosen this year for our Christmas Turkey dinner. I cooked it as per recipe. We enjoyed it and look forward to serving it in years to come.
Nov 7, 2019
Excellent and so easy. We love root vegetables and using canned soup (was rather reluctant) was so much easier than the recipe I had used in the past what with layering, cream, cheese, flour, etc.. with another recipe. I did add i bit more black pepper and before I added the soup mixture, I sprinkled a bit of parmesan cheese on top and then continued. Super great!!!
Apr 22, 2011
My husband loves this recipe. I wasn't a fan of turnips or parsnips but I even like it. We're experimenting with cheeses and other add-ins to try to amp up the flavor since he likes spicy.
Jan 8, 2011
I used rutabaga instead of turnips. I like the crunchiness of the panko topping. When I reheated the leftovers, I had some leftover swiss cheese. The basic recipe was ok, but the swiss cheese really put it over the top for me.
Oct 17, 2010
This was the first time I ever tasted parsnips and turnips and really did not care for this recipe. Maybe if you love parsnips and turnips you would like it, but my DH and I didn't care for this at all.