Parsnip Sweet Potato Pancakes
Golden brown sweet potatoes make these cakes pretty to look at and even better to eat. The green onions and thyme add an extra boost. —Amy Short, Milton, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and grated
- 12 green onions, sliced diagonally
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, thyme, salt and pepper. Stir in eggs until blended. Add the sweet potatoes, parsnips and onions; toss to coat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls, a few at a time, into hot oil; press lightly to flatten. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts2 pancakes: 280 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Parsnip-Potato Pancakes in Taste of Home August/September 2006