VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled
- 2/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 package (3 ounces) smoked salmon or lox, cut into 1/2 inch wide strips
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- Fresh dill sprigs
- Coarsely grate potatoes and parsnips. Place grated vegetables on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners and squeeze out any liquid. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the onions, eggs, salt and pepper.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1/8 in. of oil to 375°. Drop potato mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls into hot oil. Flatten to form patties. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook the other side. Drain on paper towels.
- Roll salmon to form rose shapes; set aside. Combine creme fraiche, dill, horseradish, salt and pepper. Top latkes with a dollop of creme fraiche mixture and a salmon rose. Garnish with dill. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Parsnip Latkes with Lox and Horseradish Creme in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2013, p20