Parsnip-Asparagus Au Gratin
We pair parsnips with spring asparagus to create a terrific spring side dish. The cheesy and buttery crumb topping will entice everyone to eat their veggies!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 10 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the parsnips, salt and pepper. In a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Drizzle over parsnips; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Combine asparagus and melted butter; add to parsnips. Bake 20-25 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- In a large saucepan, saute onions in remaining butter until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly toasted. Stir in cheese. Transfer parsnip mixture to a serving platter; sprinkle with crumb mixture.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 162 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 204mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Parsnip and Asparagus Au Gratin in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2009