This recipe from my husband's grandmother is my favorite way to use home canned tomatoes. The bacon-flavored tomato mixture and tender dumplings are delicious with roasted or grilled meats...and the leftovers are great!
Recommended: 27 Cracker Barrel Copycat Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup milk
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon. Drain drippings. In the same skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, sugar, salt and bacon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer while preparing dumplings.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Add parsley. Stir in milk just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering tomato mixture. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into dumplings comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Parsley Dumplings with Tomatoes in Country Woman September/October 2004, p29