Parmesan Vegetable Rice
With its red tomatoes and green pepper, this healthful rice dish from Nola Nielsen in Darien, Illinois is colorful enough to serve during the holidays, she says. “But I make it whenever I want a special rice dish any time of year at all!”
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute green pepper in butter for 2 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomato, salt, celery salt and pepper and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the rice and 1 tablespoon cheese; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 164 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 609mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Originally published as Ricember in Light & Tasty August/September 2007