Parmesan-Romano Mashed Potatoes
My sister hates mashed potatoes, but for whatever reason likes my potatoes. She one night requested cheesey mashed potatoes, and this recipe was born out of what I had on hand, parmesan and romano! I added a whole lot more than cheese, and now she won't eat plain mashed potatoes!! Boiling the potatoes with the herbs allows the flavors to cook into the potato and blend together into a nice soft herb-y taste without being over powering. You don't have to use the herbs I do, just use what you have in the cupboard that you like! :-)
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 5 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Romano cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, oregano, tarragon and thyme
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Add bouillon and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain potatoes; discard bay leaves. Mash potatoes with cream and butter. Stir in the cheeses, garlic and seasonings.
Originally published as Parmesan/Romano Mashed Potatoes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2013