- 4 medium baking potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 6 cups milk
- 3/4 to 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake at 375° for 40-60 minutes until tender. Cool, peel and cube; set aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add potatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add milk and cheese; heat through. Stir in bacon. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Reviews forParmesan Potato Soup
"I loved this soup! My wife loved it more. I haven't made it yet this winter and she's been asking me to non-stop. I followed it pretty closely the first couple times I made it. The one change I do make now is I add just a touch of the bacon grease to the base. It doesn't take much but it really brings the bacon flavor out in the soup, and every man loves bacon!"
"This was a wonderful recipe. I was truly surprised because I didn't have enough milk. But it didn't matter. I had never made potato soup before, but this will be a regular recipe in my kitchen!"
"easy to follow directions with great flavor!"