Parmesan Potato Breadsticks
More than 20 years ago, our son was looking through an old, county fair cookbook and came across this recipe. I've made adjustments to it over time, resulting in these soft and tender breadsticks.—Katie Koziolek, Hartland, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + rising Bake: 10 min.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons mashed potato flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the potato flakes, butter, sugar, milk powder, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 24 pieces. Roll each into a 5-in. rope. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with cheese, seeds and kosher salt. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 129 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.