Parmesan Peppercorn Breadsticks
These crisp breadsticks are just like the ones served in restaurants. When entertaining, use them as a garnish on plate chargers. When guests sit down to dinner, they have an immediate treat!—Mary Beth Jung, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) quick-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, yeast, salt, sugar, rosemary, pepper and 2 cups flour. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Divide each half into 12 pieces. Roll into 12x1/2-in. strips; place on greased baking sheets. Beat egg white and cold water until foamy; brush over strips. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For tender breadsticks, serve the same day. Or let stand, uncovered, at room temperature for 1-2 days to dry breadsticks to a cracker-like consistency before packaging.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 89 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Crisp Parmesan Peppercorn Breadsticks in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2009