Parmesan Onion Rye Recipe
I've been making my own bread for more than 29 years. The addition of poppy seeds and Parmesan cheese makes this rye bread deliciously different.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup rye flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 teaspoons water
- Additional kosher salt
- 1. In a small nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the egg, Parmesan cheese, poppy seeds, salt, rye flour, 1/2 cup bread flour and onion mixture; beat on medium speed until blended. Stir in enough remaining bread flour to form a firm dough.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a loaf. Place in a greased 9x5-in. loaf pan. With a sharp knife, make three or four shallow slashes across top of loaf. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 5. In a small bowl, beat egg white with water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with additional kosher salt. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Yield: 1 loaf.
1 slice: 114 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 263mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Parmesan Onion Rye
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC