Parmesan Onion Bake
Dinner guests in my home know to expect the unexpected! I love experimenting with unusual combinations of ingredients. This cheesy onion bake adds flair to a meal. -Linda Vail, Ballwin, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 6 medium onions, sliced
- 1 cup diced celery
- 8 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- In a large skillet, saute onions and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender; drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining butter; stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat.
- Pour into an ungreased 2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese and pecans. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 257 calories, 19g fat (9g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 512mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Parmesan Onion Bake in Taste of Home October/November 2000