"I've had an herb garden the last few years, so I've been using herbs in a variety of recipes," relates Irene Muller of Wray, Colorado. "These aromatic muffins are a nice change from garlic bread. We like them best served warm."
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried basil, parsley or cilantro flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cheese, sugar, Italian seasoning, basil, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 400° for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 164 calories, 7g fat (0 saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 287mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 meat.
Originally published as Parmesan Muffins in Quick Cooking January/February 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.