"This creamy macaroni and cheese mix is better than the kind you buy at the store," assures Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "The sauce is smooth, rich and so yummy!"
Recommended: Top 10 Comfort Food Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter or margarine
- Additional Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months.
- To prepare macaroni: Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup mix, milk, water and salt in a saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce until evenly coated. Yield: 5 batches (about 5 cups total), 2-3 servings per batch, 10-15 servings total.
Originally published as Parmesan Macaroni Mix in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p14