"This creamy macaroni and cheese mix is better than the kind you buy at the store," assures Iola Egle of McCook, Nebraska. "The sauce is smooth, rich and so yummy!"
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 1-3/4 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS:
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Cut in butter until crumbly. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 months. Yield: 5 batches (about 5 cups total).
- To prepare macaroni: Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine 1 cup mix, milk, water and salt in a saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Drain macaroni; stir into sauce until evenly coated. Yield: 2-3 servings per batch.
Originally published as Parmesan Macaroni Mix in Quick Cooking January/February 2001, p14