Our youngest daughter, Stephanie, has won several awards with this recipe. These buttery rolls with subtle Parmesan flavor are wonderful served warm or at room temperature.
Recommended: 16 Christmas Tree-Shaped Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Melted butter
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk. In a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. In another bowl, beat egg and sugar. Add egg mixture and yeast mixture to flour mixture; mix well. Do not knead. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each into a 12-in. circle. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Parmesan Butterhorns in Best of Country Breads 2000, p64