Parker House Cornmeal Biscuits
There's just enough cornmeal in these tender little biscuits to give them a lovely golden color, a delicate, buttery flavor and a subtle crunch. —Katrina Rivera, Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg and sour cream; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times. Roll out to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Brush with butter; fold dough over and seal edges with a fork.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 136 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Cornmeal Fold-Overs in Country Woman February/March 2008