Paradise Rice Salad
Esther Conrad of Overland Park, Kansas tossed together this satisfying salad starring rice and other healthy ingredients such as spinach, almonds and oranges. "A little citrus makes this a fruitful change of pace from plain lettuce and dressing," she confirms.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 small navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the orange juice, Italian dressing, orange zest, honey and salt. Add rice; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Just before serving, add the spinach, oranges, celery and almonds; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 171 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Paradise Rice Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2002