This recipe (like dumplings and sauce all in one!) was handed down from my husband's grandmother. It reminds my father of the delicious plum puddings he loved to eat as a little boy.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon butter or shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, bring water and brown sugar to a boil. Meanwhile, combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl. Drop by tablespoonfuls into skillet. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Do not lift lid.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 225 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Paradise Pudding in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook