This recipe (like dumplings and sauce all in one!) was handed down from my husband's grandmother. It reminds my father of the delicious plum puddings he loved to eat as a little boy.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon butter or shortening
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large skillet, bring water and brown sugar to a boil. Meanwhile, combine all cake ingredients in a large bowl. Drop by tablespoonfuls into skillet. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Do not lift lid.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 225 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 164mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Paradise Pudding in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.