- 2 pounds boneless beef top round steak, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth, divided
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup sherry or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (12 ounces) yolk-free noodles
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook beef in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- In the same skillet, saute onion and green pepper in remaining oil for 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms; cook for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Stir in 1 cup broth, tomato sauce, sherry or additional broth, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, paprika, bay leaf, thyme and pepper. Return beef to the pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40-50 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine flour and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into beef mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Remove from the heat; stir in sour cream until blended. Drain noodles; serve with stroganoff. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forPaprika Beef Stroganoff
"Very good, and easy to cut in half."
"I kind of goofed this one up, but it stilled tasted great. I was letting it simmer while I made up some other recipes for the freezer, and I guess I let it simmer too long. It dried up and burnt to the bottom of the pot (I had to use a pot because I don't have a skillet large enough for the recipe). My husband suggested making it with mashed potatoes to help soak up the juices. Sure tasted good, even with the burnt bits. :)"