- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter flavoring
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup ground macadamia nuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Additional granulated sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, oil and sugars until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the butter flavoring, orange peel and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, nuts, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon; gradually add to butter mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a glass dipped in additional sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews forPapa's Sugar Cookies
"At first these cookies were just "okay", but by the time you finished your first one, you are hooked! The flavors blend so well. I am planning on making them for my daughter's wedding. (PA cookie table). I used the bottom of a pretty glass and plan on using tinted sugar to match the colors in the wedding. I did not use the butter flavoring last time...I will the next time if I see it in the store."
"Delicious. They reminded me of Snickerdoodles with the cinammon in the mix rather than on the cookie!"
"Delicious! I made these for Christmas, for my family and also to give away to friends and neighbors. They loved them, asked where to find the recipe and said they just dissolve in your mouth. Recently, I made a double batch, they get eaten so quickly that I wanted to make sure to have some around for awhile."
"Yum! I made this recipe for Thanksgiving. At first people were a little ho-hum, but they kept coming back for more and pretty soon they were all gone and everyone admitted they just couldn't resist reaching for another one."
"They turned out very nice."
" Thank You, I have been baking and cooking for over 30 years and have never seen a recipe calling for butter flavoring??? I will look for it next time I am at the store.
"Butter flavoring comes in a bottle. It's usually in the cake area. This is a liquid. There are all flavors like almond,vanilla,strawberry is just a few . Adams Best is a great brand. I try to keep them in around all the time."
"What is butter flavoring? Butter??"
"A Waterford glass makes a beautiful design when stamped on the cookie dough! Very special!!"
"The design is made by using a glass with that design in the bottom of it. Usually a juice or wine glass has them."