- 1 pound ground beef or ground buffalo
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 slice whole wheat or white bread, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hamburger or steak seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 onion hamburger buns, split
- 4 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup prepared Thousand Island salad dressing
- 4 slices red onion
- 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced
- Combine first nine ingredients; mix lightly. Shape into four 3/4-in.-thick patties. Press patties into flour to lightly coat both sides.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook burgers over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160°, about 4-5 minutes per side. Layer bun bottoms with lettuce, burgers, salad dressing and onion and tomato slices. Replace bun tops. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forPapa Burger
"Great flavor and easy to make!"
"This was a juicy burger recipe, despite not being a whole lot of liquid in the recipe. The wine vinegar really came through and added nice flavor. I loved the toppings-especially the Thousand Island sauce. It cooked up very quickly on the stovetop. This is replacing my current hamburger recipe!"
"These were excellent. Janet VFE"