Panhandle Beef Brisket
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes16 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 2-1/4 cups ketchup
- 1-1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh beef brisket (5 to 7 pounds), trimmed
- 2 tablespoons Liquid Smoke, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Remove 2 cups sauce to a bowl; cover and refrigerate for serving.
- Place brisket in a shallow roasting pan; brush with Liquid Smoke if desired. Pour remaining sauce over meat. Cover and bake at 325° for 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Let stand for 5 minutes. Heat reserved sauce. Thinly slice meat across the grain. Serve sauce with meat.
Editor's NoteThis is a fresh beef brisket, not corned beef.
Nutrition Facts4 ounce-weight: 252 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.
Aug 1, 2015
Good brisket, a little dry though I have no idea why. The sauce was delicious.
Jun 12, 2012
This is a KILLER recipe. I made it with a ranch coleslaw and the men at the table couldn't get enough. They said I should open my own restaurant. Try it, you won't regret it.
Jun 26, 2011
We just smoked our brisket the traditonal way, but we used this sauce, and it was delicious!
Oct 27, 2009
Awesome. I loved it! It is my daughter's favorite.I would totally make it again. The best part is smelling it all afternoon while it cooks! Very easy to put together and the slow cooking does all the work for you!
May 2, 2009
My family loves this recipe. I have made it twice and will be making it again tomorrow. The only change I made is I use the splenda brown sugar. This is delicious and I don't get any complaints when this hits the table!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.