Total TimePrep: 1 hour Bake: 35 min.
- 4 pounds medium potatoes, peeled
- 2-3/4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain; cool slightly. Grate potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients; add potatoes. Stir to combine. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 178 calories, 8g fat (6g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Oct 29, 2017
Here in Utah county at least, we call them funeral potatoes!
Jul 29, 2017
MizL, did you actually make these? Or just posted about how "easier" the recipe would be using hash browns? If the latter is the case, you could have commented without taking down the actual rating for this recipe. It's uncool to give a recipe a bad rating if you haven't even made it just because you think it would be too much work. I, on the other hand, HAVE made this recipe as-is and these potatoes are fabulous. Took them to a family gathering and they were one of the first dishes to completely disappear. 5 stars from me.
Apr 11, 2017
May be less work but sure won't taste as good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.