- 6 bacon strips, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound panfish fillets (perch, sunfish or crappie), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside; discard all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute onion and celery in drippings until tender. Add the next eight ingredients. Simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add fish and bacon; simmer for 5 minutes or just until fish flakes with a fork. Add cream and heat through. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews forPanfish Chowder
"Love this recipe! I have been using it for many yeas now. Everyone that tastes it is surprised at how delisious it is! Adding an assortment of recipes to the mix of wild game and fish keeps each meal exiting and tasty. I personally like my chowder a little thicker so I take some instant potatoes and add it to the mix towards the end to thicken it up!"
"I have been making this recipe for over 7 years. It is so hearty and tasty. I usually add a few more bacon strips and have used heavy cream before."