Pancetta Scallops on Potato Rounds
Serving the pancetta-wrapped scallops on red potato slices makes for a pretty presentation. The delicate flavors appeal to all.—Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 15 appetizers plus 1/2 cup leftover vinaigrette
- 5 small red potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/3 pound sliced pancetta or bacon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 pound sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain. Combine the salt, onion powder and pepper. Wrap a slice of pancetta around each scallop; sprinkle salt mixture over both sides.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook scallops in butter and oil for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes on each side or until firm and opaque. Remove from the heat and keep warm. Drain potatoes; set aside.
- In a blender, combine the vinegar, rosemary, garlic and salt; cover and process until blended. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream.
- To assemble appetizers, top each potato slice with a scallop; drizzle each with 1/4 teaspoon vinaigrette (save remaining vinaigrette for another use).
Nutrition Facts1 each: 82 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 194mg sodium, 3g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Pancetta Wrapped Scallops on Potato Rounds with Rosemary Vinagrette in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.