I was inspired by a stuffed chicken Marsala dish I had at a restaurant and wanted to come up with my own version using a different flavor profile. —Ashley Laymon, Lititz, Pennsylvania
Recommended: 73 Reasons to Get Behind Meatless Monday
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 slices pancetta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook pancetta over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp; drain on paper towels.
- In same skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shallot; cook and stir until lightly browned, 1-2 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; cook until tender, 1-2 minutes. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto; layer with one slice pancetta and a fourth of the mushroom mixture. Fold chicken in half, enclosing filling; secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Bake until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, 30-35 minutes. Discard toothpicks before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Pancetta and Mushroom-Stuffed Chicken Breast in Taste of Home February/March 2018