Cod has a soft, buttery appeal that goes with cilantro, onions and crunchy pine nuts. This is the easiest cod preparation I’ve found. —Lucy Lu Wang, Seattle, Washington
Recommended: Easy Fish Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cod fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts or sliced almonds
- Pat cod dry with paper towels; sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Brown fillets lightly on both sides; remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir 4-5 minutes or until softened. Stir in wine; cook 3-4 minutes longer or until onion is lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Return cod to pan. Reduce heat to low; cook, covered, 2-3 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork.
- Remove cod from pan. Stir cilantro and pine nuts into onion; serve with fish. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Pan-Seared Cod in Simple & Delicious August/September 2016